Please note this policy does not apply to (and we are not responsible for) the practices of companies or products that we do not own or control or to individuals we do not employ or manage, including the practices of third party software that we may be integrated in or included with. When utilizing third party sites or software products, you should read the relevant privacy policies of those third parties for information regarding their privacy practices.
Section 3: WHAT WE COLLECT AND WHY. This section explains what information we collect from:
- a. users who receive software recommendations from the OpenCandy Network;
- b. business partners who participate in the OpenCandy Network;
- c. users who download third party software that utilizes our Ignite installer utility; and
- d. visitors to our sites.
Section 4: HOW WE USE OR SHARE INFORMATION WE HAVE COLLECTED. This section explains how we use your information, and why, as well as if and how we share your information.
If you are a user receiving recommendations through the OpenCandy Software Recommendation Network, we collect the following types of information:
When you install third party software that has chosen to use the OpenCandy Software Recommendation Network, that third party software includes a file that allows for ecommendations to be made as part of the installation and/or uninstallation process of that third party software. During the installation and/or uninstallation process the file transmits anonymous, non-personally identifiable information regarding your computer system, such as the time zone, language setting, software installed on your system including the operating system and default browser, as well as information regarding whether recommended software has been accepted, downloaded, and installed. During the installation and/or uninstallation process, data transmitted by the file may also include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, however, we do not use your Internet Protocol (IP) address other than for deriving geographical information about your computer system, and any such geographical information is only collected, used and stored in anonymous, aggregate form.
Please see our FAQs for detailed information about how the recommendation process works.
If you are a business partner, such as a software developer or a software publisher, utilizing the OpenCandy Software Recommendation Network and have created an account with OpenCandy, we collect the following types of information:
• Account Information. We collect and maintain all information that you provide to us in connection with the account registration process in order to help us manage your account and communicate with you regarding our products and services.
• Account Access. We collect and maintain login information, including internet protocol addresses, when you access our partner console, in order to help us manage your account.
• Analytics Information. In connection with the installation of publisher software that includes a recommendation from the OpenCandy Network, we collect certain types of statistical and analytics information through our software plug-in regarding the publisher’s end users (as described in the next paragraph) and the performance of recommendations and our overall service, in order to help us optimize that performance.
If you are a user who has downloaded and installed Third Party Software that uses the Ignite installation utility, we collect the following types of information:
When you download third party software that uses the Ignite installation utility, as part of the download process the Ignite utility is installed on your computer and transmits anonymous, non-personally identifiable information regarding your computer system, such as what third party product was installed using the Ignite utility, the URL of the third party product, the operating system, the Ignite version installed, if Java or .NET was used for the installation, as well as information regarding whether the third party software was successfully downloaded and installed.
We utilize this information to help us improve the performance of the Ignite installation utility and improve and streamline users’ download experience.
If you are a visitor to our sites, we collect the following types of information:
• Logs. When you visit our sites we capture and store the data that your computer or web browser sends us. This data may include your operating system (OS) type, browser type, language, Internet Protocol (IP) address, the date and time of your request and the cookie ID (when you visit our sites) that helps us identify your computer.
• Usage Information. Generally, our service automatically collects usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of visitors to our sites and its components. We only use this data in aggregate form, that is, as a statistical measure, and not in a manner that would identify you personally. This type of aggregate data enables us to figure out how often customers use parts of our sites or services so that we can improve our services performance. We do not use such usage information to identify you, nor do we associate any usage information we collect with any information that may personally identify you, such as a name or address.
• Communications; Information You Provide.. Anytime you send us a communication, whether as a post to our sites, through email inquiries, or postings or communications on social media sites or networks such as Facebook or Twitter, we may keep such communications so that we can respond to your requests or inquiries and help improve our services to you. The personal information you provide is used for such purposes as improving the content of our sites,customizing and improving our services, and communicating with you about our services. We may use personal information you provide to communicate with you about specials and new features. We will obtain your consent where required by applicable law. You can opt out from receiving promotional communications at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions described in the email.